Thursday, August 06, 2009

Major Lazer

It's been awhile since I have posted a hate post. Let's do that now.

I figure I should note this one as you probably hear it out and about, and it's gotten plenty of attention. It's been kicking around awhile, but I am just getting around to posting.

Just reading the "bio" on Major Lazer, makes me cringe. And, correct, I am not a fan of most of the people involved with the project (Diplo/Mad Decent), but even looking at this track from a simple musical perspective, it just doesn't jive. The homages/allusions are at best obvious, and at worst trite. Worse than that, because of the attempts to pull from immediate touchstones like Lil Wayne's "A Milli" as well as the base levels of dancehall, and the necessary Hot Female vocal (by very current still, Santi of Santigold), all make this an effort in laziness. And it's this laziness that I think will also doom this track to very poor aging. Listen to this in a year and tell me it stands the test of time. I'm going with probably not.

Major Lazer- Hold the Line (DJ Edit)

Add to all of the above, the video which looks to mimic all of the French pop art Ed Banger cover art, and it just all smells of a half-hearted pastiche trying to cash in on anything that people who are just outside of the loop won't know any better than to like.



Give me Ce'cile's "Hot Like We" over this any day.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cockfosters said...

Ce'cile- Hot like We
http://www.zshare.net/audio/63699558946e2674/

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home