Friday, February 03, 2012

The AEC Top 10 for 2011

1. Arctic Monkeys- Suck It and See
2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
3. Jamie XX & Gil-Scott Heron- We're New Here
4. S.C.U.M- Again Into Eyes
5. The Vaccines- What Did you Expect from The Vaccines?
6. King Krule- King Krule EP
7. Hurts- Happiness
8. Azari & III- EPs
9. The Horrors- Skying
10. The Duke Spirit- Bruiser

I have had this list ready for a few weeks now, but am finally sitting down to give it some editorial. I also don't want to short change your wait, so I will give you the full top ten now, and will fill in some extra insight to each one hereafter.

1. Arctic Monkeys- Suck It and See
I'm pretty sure I have made it fairly clear that I love this band. For most of the year I was sure this was going to be my #1, but Noel almost came in and made me rethink that. But that moment was short lived and after reflecting on this year, Suck It and See was by far the most interesting record this year and the one that I gave the most listens. I won't rehash all the praise I gave it before, but again, to me this is the perfect statement by Alex and company about who they are, what they can do and how much they embody and deliver the best rock n roll music in 2011.



2. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
More than any other record this year, the release of this record filled me with fear. After Beady Eye, I had the lowest of expectations for Noel's solo debut. Much to my delight, all of my fears were proved unfounded. Unfettered by his brother and the weight of the Oasis name, Noel somehow found a level of freedom that not only made good on his recent shortfalls, but even proved he could better his past bests. For the first time, Noel produced ideas and depth and lyrics that resonated on a deep level and even delivered (gasp!) romantic sentiments that actually make stop every time I hear them. Sometimes, you just have to keep the faith.





Next up, #s 3 & 4...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home