Sunday, July 29, 2007

Robyn


This one goes out particularly to Anthony.

Back in the day, when pop was just starting to devour the whole music world of the 90s, before the umbrella car assaults and the like, one record came out and was quickly forgotten. It was on a major label in he US, had a small radio/video push but fizzled out. "Do You Know What It Takes" by Robyn went by the wayside and came back to eerily haunt us as Mandy Moore's first hit, "Candy." (That's just speculation on my part, but I always thought they had lots of similarities.)

Well Sweden's Robyn didn't go away, we just don't get to hear from her much Stateside. I just read that she's got a new record out in Europe soon and that reminded me that I may not have told you about how great her tunes still are. Chappelle's Show allusions, Missy Elliot-esque video, dirty rhymes and a delicious sugar pop center makes "Konichiwa Bitches" another Robyn great and a 9 on my scale.

(Somehow blogggers went crazy about this track a year or two ago. I still can't explain it cuz none of them even mentioned "Do You Know.")

Robyn- Konichiwa Bitches (Alt Mix)

Robyn- Do You Know What It Takes (Dee's Full Mix Edit)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home