Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Jarvis Cocker


So of all the big names in britpop, I honestly can't say that Pulp were ever at the top of my list. Not to say I didn't like them, they just weren't at the top of my list. I bought all the records, enjoyed them live when I finally got the chance to see them, and all that jazz, but they definitely came after Oasis, Blur, Charlatans, Radiohead, etc.

But I have always believed that Jarvis was one of the best song writers of his generation. And he has kept it going with his first solo release, pleasantly titled, Jarvis. It's a bit less morose than latter day Pulp releases, and is even somewhat sunny. At least in terms of a Jarvis Cocker release. As usual he's whip smart, has a touch with poppier arrangements and is just basically having a good time. And you can tell. After just two listens, I give Jarvis an 8.5.

Jarvis Cocker- Black Magic

And if you are a podcaster, check out his interview with the Times Observer. As usual, he's hilarious.

The Times Sounds Podcast- Jarvis Cocker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home