Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Long Blondes


It took me a while to finally get around to listening to The Long Blondes. I think if anything, they looked too perfect for me to not look at them with a bit of a jaundiced eye. Too pretty, too British, too well dressed. But I finally broke down. Maybe I was afraid that they were all blondes. Thankfully they are not.

Now I can't say they are as perfect as I feared. But they are definitely worth a listen. They move around the sounds of influence well (everything from Elastica to Dancehall Crashers to Saint Etienne to girl group 60s cheerleader rock) and keep you guessing a bit. I don't think all of their experiments work per se, but again, they could do a lot worse.

And of course, if you name check Anna Karina in a song, you have already won me over.

The full record is worth a listen, so I'll give it a 7. These two tracks though get 8.5s.

The Long Blondes- Lust in the Movies
The Long Blondes- Separated By Motorways

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home