Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Kooks

Here's a band that I tried to avoid. I don't know why. I somehow perceived them to be something I didn't or wouldn't like. Either too fey or too faux, something. I don't know and I can't explain it. But prejudice be damned, I like the Kooks.

In fact, I really like the Kooks. I will say in advance that I am surprised this hasn't been on the soundtrack to all of those TV doctor dramas and isn't in every movie trailer. I'd say there is very little separating this from the Snow Patrol's and Keane's of the world. But there is something that makes these tunes a bit more real and a bit less saccharine.

I can guarantee that after one listen you will have these songs in your head. And I think that counts for a lot. In fact, in the case of the Kooks, I think it will probably propel them into my top 10 for the year. Catchy, man, catchy.

The Kooks, Inside In, Inside Out gets an 8, only brought down by a couple of songs that noodle a bit too much and lean into hippy territory. Otherwise, it's stellar.

The Kooks- She Moves In Her Own Way
The Kooks-Ooh La

... and just cuz I love her with all my heart: Lily Allen covers The Kooks- Naive

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home